90g white bread, torn into small pieces (without crusts)
990g ground beef
400g ground pork
2 large onion (170g), finely chopped
30g finely minced garlic
30g fresh flat leaves parsley, finely chopped
1 tbsp salt
freshly ground black pepper
3 eggs, lightly beaten
60g grated parmesan cheese
- Soak pieces of bread in milk while you prep the other ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine beef, pork, onion, garlic, parsley, salt, pepper, eggs and parmesan cheese. Add in soaked breadcrumbs. Use hands to mix everything together.
- Lightly oil your hands to prevent from sticking and gently compress and shape the meatballs to your preferred size.
- Heat a little olive oil over medium high heat in a frying pan and brown the meatballs in batches. Once browned (but not cooked through), transfer them onto a plate.
To make pasta sauce:
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup red wine (optional)
salt & pepper, to taste
- With the same frying pan, add a little olive oil. Saute chopped onion until soft. Add in minced garlic and fry until aromatic.
- Add in crushed tomatoes and bring to the boil. Add in meatballs and simmer for about 20 minutes, turning the meatballs occasionally. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the meatballs on cooked pasta. Garnish with more parmesan cheese.