For Bengali “Mahalaya” is the day considered to be the starting of “Devi Paksh” and end of “Pritti Paksh” for Goddess Durga . The same day considered as starting of Navratri. From that day we prepare to welcome Goddess Maa Durga to the Earth. It is the most celebrated festival among us -Bengalis.
The first full moon day after Durga Puja , we celebrate “Kojagori laxmi puja” .The full moon day of Ashwin is called ‘KOJAGORI PURNIMA’. On this day people keep fasting and worship the GODDESS LAXMI after Sunset. This is basically known as “KOJAGORI LAXMI PUJA”.
As far as I noticed out of West Bengal this KOJAGORI LAXMI PUJA is not so much known. The worship the goddess Laxmi ji mostly done on the eve of Diwali
Whatever, there are lots of rituals and history behind all those believes. Today I am going to share a fusion sweet called ‘PAN Mawa Misthi’ or Pan Mewa Sweet with you.
SINGORI is a famous and known sweet item of Uttarakhand. They make mawa (harden kheer) and put it into Mallu leaves after rolling it(Mallu leaves is a local leaf) ,but in Delhi and other state is not easily available). They used to set processed Mawa stuff for sometimes within Mallu leaves and decorate with dry fruits, dry coconut, tutti-fruity etc.
As I have used much available Pan Leave and processed Mewa in my way I mentioned this as a fusion sweet.
I hope you will like my way and will request you to make your own to taste an unique sweet item …
(For making khoya kheer or mawa or Mewa)
· Full cream cow milk-2 lad
· Sugar -1 cup(according to taste may be increased the amount)
· Green cardamom crash-1 tsp.
· (For final preparation)
· Pan leaves-20
· Toothpick- for clipping
· Dry fruits-almond or pistachio and red cherries
· For baking-aluminum foil container
· Heat a Kadai (I used iron Kadai), Boil milk. After boiling point keep the heat in low flame and boil for at least an hour to make mawa (after 15 minutes or so you have to stire slowly for avoiding sticking at bottom )
· When milk became too thick, add sugar and cardamom and mix well. Boil for another 15 minutes, mawa is ready.
· Take an aluminum foil container and make a bed with two pan leaves. pour the in it then cover with another pan leaf. Bake for only 10 minutes.
· I must mention, I baked it, so that the aroma of Pan should get deep into Mewa mix.
· Cool it at room temperature. In the meantime make the pocket with pan leaves like triangular shaped, folding it in one end and lock with a toothpick (To avoid popped open).
· Stuff the baked mawa into Pan Pockets and decorate with dry fruits and cherries. Set it for another half an hour into refrigerator.
· Wow its Ready to serve…