Traditional Bong Foods are always adorable. Dhokar Dalna or fried Lentil cake curry is such a great dish .It is one of the old, authentic veg dish which is used in any occasion. Sharing this recipe for my non-Bengali friends & followers. Try to cook once you will love to do it again.
To make Dhoka
· Chana dal – 1 cup
· Motor dal – 1/2 cup
· Ginger piece -1 inch
· Green chilies-2 no
· Salt to taste
· Sugar 1 tsp.(optional)
· Black cumin seeds- 1 tsp.
· Asafoetida -1/2 tso.
· Mustard oil -2 tbsp.
· Potatoes ( boiled ,peeled and cut into four pieces)-2 medium size
· Tomatoes -2 nos.
· Ginger – 2 inches pieces
· Cumin powder -1 tsp.
· Coriander Powder -1 tsp.
· Turmeric powder -1/2 tsp.
· Kashmiri red chili powder – 1/2 tsp.
· Dry red chilies – 2 nos.
· Salt to taste
· Sugar 2 tsp.
· Green chilies slice -2 nos.
· Asafoetida -1/4 tsp.
· Whole cumin seeds 1/2 tsp.
· Bay leaves -2 nos.
· Whole Garam masala(2 Green cardamoms,2 cloves, 1 inch stick cinnamon)
· Garam masala powder (cardamom, cloves and cinnamon)
To make Dhoka:
· In a mixer grinder paste two types of dals, Ginger and green chilies together. Don’t need to paste very finely. Very fine paste can make the Dhoka hard. Gravy can’t insert in it.
· Heat mustard oil in a non-stick Kadai.
· Add black cumin seeds and Asafoetida in it. Mix well and add prepared dal paste. Mix and cook for 5 seconds.
· Then add salt and sugar. Mix well. Cook until its own water is coming dry.
· When done will notice it became sticky and leaving out from the edge of Kadai.
· Then spread it in a oil greased plate.
· Let it be cool in room temperature and cut into squares or diamond or any desirable shapes.
To make gravy:
· Paste tomatoes and ginger together in a mixer grinder.
· Mix little bit of salt and turmeric powder with the potatoes and keep aside
· In a Kadai heat 5 tbsp. of mustard oil. Fry the prepared Dhoka in medium heat.
· When both sides will be brown, remove from heat and keep aside.
· Add potatoes and sauté for one minute, remove from heat.
· Mix cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and Kashmiri red chili powder with two tbsp. of water in a small remekin and keep aside.
· Into the remaining oil add boiled potatoes and fry for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
· Then add whole Garam masala, cumin seeds, red dry chili and bay leaves.
· When just starts to crackling add prepared tomato puree mixture in it. Cook until the raw smell of tomato paste is going out. Add fried potatoes and mix.
· Next add prepared spice mixture in it, cook for 5 minutes in medium at low flame, till oil is floating over.
· Add two cups of hot water increasing the flame high (water can be increased according to gravy demanding).Add salt and sugar according to taste.
· When boiling starts add fried Dhoka, green chilies slices and cook for 10-15 minutes covering it. Then oil will float over and juice will inserted into Dhoka.
· When done, switching off the flame open the lid and sprinkle Garam masala over it and covering with lid give five minutes standing time. Now it is ready to serve.