Modak is a traditional sweet. It is very popular in many parts of India. Traditionally it is made of rice flour or wheat flour or plain flour for outer shell and for filling inside, freshly grated coconut and Jaggery is used. Then the Modak can be steamed or fried.
But variety is always welcome. Modak can be made with fresh Mewa too and it is also a must sweet for Ganesha Chaturthi festival. It can be made without any inside filling too and for stuffing you can use any dry fruits, dry coconut .Here I used dry coconut with dry fruits which enhanced its taste more….
For Mewa dough:
· Mewa from 1 ltr of full cream milk (It yields 230 grams of Mewa)
· Sugar – 2 tsp. Of measurement spoon
· Sugar Powder or Bora (see at the bottom)- heaped 4 tbsp. of regular using spoon
· Cardamom powder of 2 green cardamoms
· Rose water – 2 drops
· Kesar stands- 2
· Dry Coconut-2tbsp of measurement cup
· Chopped dry almond- 1 tbsp.
· Chopped pistachio-1 tbsp.
· Ghee -1 tsp.
For making Modak:
· Modak mould and little bit ghee for greasing hand
· For making Mewa, heat the milk first. Boil it at very low flame with constant stirring till it reduced half amount.
· Add sugar Powder, kesar stands, rose water, cardamom powder, mix and stir constantly at low flame.
· When it almost became thick like Kheer, add 2 tsp of caramelized sugar and at this time do not stop stirring. Mix it well and stir constantly. It will be thicker and will stick to edge of the iron Kadai.
· When it will be like a paste, switch off the flame and leave it as it is for 10 minutes.
· After cool down coming to room temperature kneed it with your palm for smooth more.
· To make stuffing, heat ghee in a Kadai, add all mentioned stuffing ingredients in it, mix it well for 1-2 minutes at low flame. Remove from heat and cool it.
· To make the shape, open the Modak mould, stuff Mewa into it and close the mould, press it taking in between your 2 palms to release extra Mewa.
· Now from that side, which is wider, insert back of spoon and try to push the Mewa to inside wall of the mould. Then there will be little space at the middle, fill that with little bit of coconut stuffing. Taking little more Mewa press to close the mouth so that coconut stuffing not comes out.
· Now finally open the mould and Modak is ready.
· Sprinkle some crashed pistachio over it and enjoy the homemade taste of Authentic Modak …..
If using Store Mewa then heat it in a Kadai first, it will be soften and hot. Then mix sugar Powder.
After mixing the sugar Powder if you feel it is to soggy, then cook for 5 -10 minutes more for right consistency.
Bora: If you boil sugar and water together stirring constantly, first sugar will be melt, then the syrup will be thick, then it will be thicker and water will be vaporized .That sugar Powder is called bora. Here I used dry coconut stuffing into Mewa, It can be made without coconut stuffing.