The proverb “Mache Vate Bangali” i.e. Bengali is fond of fish with steam rice. Yesterday when I went to the market to bring some vegetables, I suddenly saw some fresh, alive “Rohu fishes” there. Being a Bengali, I can’t resist myself to buy the fish. Getting a fresh fish is always tough to have in Noida, though it is quite normal in Kolkata.
Whatever Bengalis always manage to get fish anywhere and always love to cook variety of fishes. Even if we talk about healthy food, fresh fish would come on almost top of the list. Fish is good for skin too and of course very good for growing children.
Here is the recipe of a simple fish in tomato gravy…. Try and you will get a tasty and healthy fish dish….
· Rohu fish (washed and clean) -4 Chopped tomatoes – 2 nos.
· Potato vertically cut into 4 pieces)- 2 no
· Chopped onion- 1 big size
· Ginger- garlic paste – 2 tbsp.
· Whole cumin seeds-1 tsp.
· Whole coriander seeds- 1/2 tsp.
· Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp.
· Kashmiri red chili powder- 1/2 tsp.
· Green chilies Slice- 2 no
· Chopped mint leaves- 2 tsp.
· Garam masala powder(used clove, cinnamon and green cardamom)- 1/4
· Oil- for fry the fish +2 tbsp.
· Hot water -1 cup
· Heat oil in a big mouthed Kadai. Sprinkle little bit of salt and turmeric powder over the fish pieces
and fry both side of fish .Keep it aside
· Fry potatoes in the same oil and keep aside.
· In the remaining oil add 2 tbsp. of oil further, and then add cumin seeds and coriander seed.
· When a nice aroma starts to come add chopped onion and fry till it become golden brown.
· Add ginger- garlic paste and sauté for5-6 minutes.
· Next add chopped tomato, turmeric powder, Kashmiri chili powder, salt and mix well. Cover the lid.
· Cook for 5 minutes at low flame. Tomatoes will be softened and oil will float on top.
· Now add all remaining ingredients except fish and hot water. Mix well and stir for 30 seconds.
· Add hot water, when starts to boil add fried fish pieces and cover the lid, cook for 10 minutes further
at low flame.
· After 10 minutes switch off the flame, give a standing time and serve hot with hot steam rice.