A place of peace where you can realise your love for nature, snow white peaks of the grand Himalayas, can feel a comfort breath with full of fresh air ,where at every moment you can feel GOD’s presence and can explore an incredible Kumaoni culture with a unique gastronomy, is the only UTTRAKHAND.
Suzi ka sein (Suzi ka halwa) is one form of Halwa and one of the most traditional sweet dishes from Kumaon. Halwa is one of our quick daily sweet dishes which we prepare differently in almost every region of India. We also use Halwa as GOD’S PRASAD or at any traditional occasion but In Kumauni cuisine this sweet dish used to make differently, I can’t resist to share this special recipe with you. The credit goes to one of my close friends ‘Aparna’ who belongs to Kumaon region with her in depth knowledge of traditional Kumaoni dishes.
· Semolina – 2 cups
· Clarified butter (ghee) – ½ cup
· Curd – ½ cup
· Milk – ½ cup
· Sugar – 1 ½ cup
· Cardamom powder of 3-4 green cardamoms
· Oil- 4-5 tbsp.
· Ghee -2 tbsp.
· Chasewnuts – 1/4 th cup
· Almond – 1/4 th cup
· Raisins – 1 handful.
· Take a bowl and pour semolina. Mix ghee in it.
· Add curd, milk and sugar altogether in it and add cardamom powder too.
· Mix it well, the batter will be neither too thin or nor too thick.
· The batter should be smooth and soak it for maximum 1 hour. It is the sufficient time to melt the sugar in it and to puff the semolina enough. If the sugar granules are small then soak the batter for only half an hour, otherwise the batter will be soggier.
· Heat oil and ghee together in a iron Kadai. When it is hot, pour the prepared batter in Kadai and reduce the flame at medium. Don’t stir this time.
· After 3-4 minutes it’s colour (the portion which is touched with Kadai)will be changed brown in colour and it took its own shape ,then turn over the another side.
· When both sides have been brown in colour then you have to mash but not too much.
· Now you need to add dry fruits like Cashewnuts ,Almond and raisins too or of your choice and as much as you prefer.
· Mix little bit and the amazing sweet dish is ready.